Friday, January 29, 2010

An observation

Last night I went out to help Shawn with a little project on the car.
The heater doesn't work.
Workable if it is nice.
A flat pain when it is cold.
No one wants to drive it.

Shawn was determined to fix it.
I held the light and turned switches.
His job was to wedge himself into an impossible position to removed the screws and device.
It wasn't easy.
The first 3 screws cooperated.
The last one held tight.
It was as determined to stay as Shawn was to get it out so that he could "fix" the problem.
He cussed (much to my demise),
He yelled, (at least I thought it was yelling)
He pounded,
He tried other positions, but
it stayed.
In the end,
It lost.
Shawn removed the last screw, removed the device and by-passed the problem and hopes he fixed the problem.

For now.

I couldn't help but think about a comparison.
I have a good number of friends that for one reason or another are calling it quits on marriage. Maybe
they have a "screw" in a bad place
and think just because they have screamed, cussed, cried a few times
that they should remove offensive device after finally getting the screw out, by-pass marriage all-together and hopefully "fix" the problem.
For now.

Shawn said the heater still doesn't work really well.
So much for fixing the problem.
I'm sure we have people in our lives that are like that screw...
stubborn as all get out,
wedged in tight,
in a bad spot
and won't be fixed.
Maybe I have been that screw.

But I want to be somewhat immovable.
And steadfast.
Maybe a little W-D 40 would work...
What would work in a relationship.
The Savior could help and be the W-D 40.

Just some thoughts. Maybe they don't make much sense...

No comments: