Sunday, October 4, 2009

All is safely gathered in...

To many, you may be thinking, those are sad looking roses...let me explain.

Every year for mother's day Joseph has bought me a rose bush and for reasons I won't elaborate on, I never have one the following spring. This year, I took extra care of my rose bush and it bloomed it's heart out. Even when it got cold it stilled ...smiled...until night before last. The hard frost was just too much for it.

It actually represents for me a good season...I still have lots to learn about growing and harvesting stuff but this year things grew well. I probably did well because I had to. With Shawn gone I had to be on top of watering, weeding etc. It pulled me out of my comfort zone and helped me to recognize that I COULD do it. And all is, almost, safely gathered in. I am looking forward to next year to practice what I have learned. We have carrots that need to be dug (they are huge) and apples to pick and then I really am done, I think. I have harvested BIG cabbages, apples, onions, zucchini, beets, beans, corn and bottled pears and peaches: not nearly enough but at least the storage room doesn't look so empty. We need a better place to store produce, like a root cellar but for right now things are in the freezer or in bottles.

Hoses are drained, lawn is mowed and watered for the last time, sprinklers put away. All these things I have conveniently allowed Shawn to take care of when he was here because he did.

Yes all is safely gathered in...

No comments: