Sunday, August 9, 2009

Dogs and friends

Just finished watching a movie--comes in a close second to "Charlie ' as a tear jerker...Called Marley and Me. After I wiped away the tears I couldn't help but think of the dogs in my life.

When I was a little girl Dad bought home a little puppy for my brother. Scamper became the family dog. He was a house dog until we moved into the new and bigger house in Boulder and then my Mom insisted that he become an "outside dog". That was sad because winters were cold but Scamper didn't complain. There was the time I ran over him in my haste to get a load of books to the bookmobile. Mom helped me care for him because neither of us could have thought it possible to put him down. He lived and when I was on my mission and my mother wrote to say that after 20 years "Old Scamp" had died, I cried. That was tough.

There were other dogs that Mom got to take his place. They were good companions but never quite took the place of Scamper. I don't think any dog could have took his place.

Then came Shawn AND his dog. I married them both. Boku was our companion and my protector. It was a sad day when after about 12-13 years he became to old and sick to carry on. We have had many dogs since then; Brandy's dog, Kimi, then Missy to try to take Boku's place, Candy, Hyde, and Brigham's dog Migo. All come with their own personalities and have managed to climb in our hearts even when we haven't wanted them to. They make life complete. They all have and will cause the tears to fall. Darn it but they are worth it.

1 comment:

Krista said...

Some how I missed this when you posted it and I just now read it. It made me remember...
When Boku died. I remember I asked Dad if he was sad. He said something like...
"I've known him longer than I've known you. What do you think?"
That put it into perspective for me.
He was a good dog.
I'm glad to know that Lexie is going to be the first dog to live FOREVER!